Skype
basv23

Nuka Goo Nuka Goo

I'm usually not one for repetitive drops, but yours are so amazingly well arranged that I just can't stop listening. Poompin drums and a stronk bass, yiss, good frickin' job man! I wouldn't mind seeing this getting featured :P

GobSmacked responds:

ayy thanks man, appreciate ya!!!! :3

DJ P1E - Below DJ P1E - Below

So... I was not familiar with the original song. I found out I've been living under a rock for not knowing it. Anyway, newgrounds has this cool credit option in the project management menu. There you should link the song that you based this song on.

To get more in depth about the execution:
You see to put the focus more on the lead than the original, which I really like. All instruments together work like this mini cute synth orchestra. Also structurewise, I like this a lot. The transitions are spot on, and the sound choice is great.

In the mix there are these white noise things that are really loud. They should be toned down. Also you use that white noise sound for every transition. Getting some more variation going might be a good idea. But personally I'd recommend leaving the white noise out at some transitions, and let the notes do their thing. Because that works ever so good! Also some drums are barely audible. I mainly can't hear the kick very well, but I think there is a chance you did that on purpose.

The last thing I can possibly say something about is the impression I got while listening to this song. It's quite plain, it sounds like a bunch of presets using the notes of an already existing song. This may totally not be true! I'm not claiming things here, but that was just my first impression when I listened to it.

On the other hand though, I really enjoyed listening, and I wished it lasted longer. That should be the most important!
I rate 4/5

Xtrullor - Birth of the Sun Xtrullor - Birth of the Sun

You used to have the best flow in dubstep drops I've ever heard. Nowadays though, you seem to obstruct that flow by frequent instant periods of a significant decrease in tension. Those periods feel extra out of place because the synths have another "imaginative load". (To me at least) it kind of feels like having a conversation about two very different subjects at a time. I don't know if you're into the "I associate sounds with thoughts and feelings". If so: (that is the) way to go!

I find the mix a bit flat too. I'm listening on headphones, and it's like the volume of what isn't mono, is constant throughout the song. Also the mix kind of lacks interest. It sounds extremely clean, but it makes some parts in especially the drop sound a bit empty.

After reading the criticism, check out the rating! 4.5 stars! The song is made with crazy skills, so it deserves them. But that's not why I reviewed. I wanted to help. So... I hope it did! (and that I didn't make a fool of myself)

TheFatRat - No No No TheFatRat - No No No

I only want to point out that the vocals clip sometimes like at 0:28. To me it seems weird if that's intentional. Anyways, what else can I say? Quality song, perhaps a bit too repetitive with all the no's.

DJ Neat! - Morning DJ Neat! - Morning

The only problem I really see with this song is the mix and master. The SFX in the beginning were too loud. The ruble in one sample's bass overpowered the bass in the part directly after it. Speaking of that part, the sub is played too high on some notes. It started to sound like a sine wave rather than a sub. Then the pluck bass comes, and it overpowers the rest of the song. There are too many irregular volume changes in that part. I don't know if that's due to the master, a sidechain or actual automation, but something about it doesn't feel right. The drop also has a sidechain, which is too heavy. This may be a matter of taste, but I think it surpresses the other instruments. A lighter kick and louder/clearer lead is what this drop needs. Apart from the mix, I think the drums are quite plain, and almost generic. Also the drop is quite repetitive.

So... how do you fix the mix? One thing that is quite obvious is using less reverb. Too much reverb kills a mix. I liked the reverb, but a bit less is ok as well. Put some synths in the background. All synths are pretty much in front. Try using some leveling or even stereo imaging for that. EQ your SFX. Make then fit into your mix! Apart from that, I think the real mix issue lies in the mids. Make space for the synths you want to be relatively present in there.

Master: track is really loud all the time. Give your listeners' ears some rest and make the intro and breakdown at least a bit more quiet. Also, if the weird volume changes are a master artefact, then don't squeeze your pre mix into your compressor.

Apart from al the critique, I have to say that the progression is pretty solid, and the synths are of great quality as well. I liked that off note in the melody. It felt odd, but interesting. However, as I said earlier. This style starts to become really generic. It's like House with the standard 4 bar kick, snare build up and pydra snare fills.

I would have tried to add a catchy bassline and hi hats and cymbals, just to make the drums a bit more interesting to listen to. But that's more my taste. I hope I didn't make a fool of myself. I'm not hating, just reviewing. Trying to make the R4R great again :P

GGMiXsiMusic responds:

Took me ages to read, gonna take more to apply. I'm on the vacation :P

What We Found What We Found

That intro... Dude, that kept me listening. That riff, the el. guitar's heaviness, the drums... As an eternal metalhead I cannot but love this. It's worth headbanging to :D

TheLitch responds:

Thank you. I like to think it's the timing of the beat and the tempo haha

On the run On the run

This is quite good. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the arrangement. I love the song. The mix can be improved as always. I don't like how far some instruments are panned, that's all.

I want to be helpful with this review, but you're giving me a hard time. Hence, my points may be a bit "nitpicker-ish". I don't know about the overall volume of the song. It's at a constant max (although, that's what it feels like. Also the tension is full on almost 100% of the time. I hear some breaks, but I feel like my ears didn't get that much rest in them. This track can definitely do with some more volume variations, and timbre variations.

My other point was the post processing. As I implied the mix is pretty good. I don't or barely do hear things like reverb. I think that may give your guitars some extra texture.

As I said, I have hard times finding weak points in this song. Hence, I think you did a great job!
By the way, were that blast beats? :P

Psybot - Limbo Psybot - Limbo

Sounds like pop song DnB. The vocal sounds great, but it's not in tune the whole time. In pop music the vocal is the central point of the mix, and here that's not the case. The structure, composition and layering are amazing. The only real thing I noticed is that the mix is not super. The vocal suffers from the saw in the beginning, and some synths are too loud compared to others. Although, that last point may be personal preference. Hence, I think you did a great job :D

Psybot responds:

I agree that it's not in tune the at some points. Maybe i'll try and record it again.
And i agree that it sounds like a pop dnb. But you have to try different styles right? :P
And I am trying to get the mixing together, but I still have much to learn.
I am pretty pleased with not using any presets or any "non-flstudio-vtsi" and still manage to get this quality of sounds ^^
I hope you agree with me a little bit on that ^^

Thank you for the review, it means a lot to me ^^

At Bobby's place At Bobby's place

Sub is ok, but this is a bit too much. The point of ambient music is that there is an ambience. The only real ambient feature of this song is the sub. Throw in some back ground stuff, white noise, samples, reverb. Ambient and reverb to hand in hand :D

The composition of this song is quite repetitive, and it gets boring very quickly. There is an equal amount of tension at every part in the song, which makes it extra boring.

No hater, just reviewin'

Sunny0911 responds:

Its not about making a thousand instruments sound kind of good, maybe this is what you understand of an song (it needs a lot of takes and a lot more space on your screen). This means you personally don't like it.

Dark Matter Suite (ft. LOrbSheddy) Dark Matter Suite (ft. LOrbSheddy)

Untill 1:08 I've got nothing to say actually. This song has a subtle but fitting beginning and build up.
The DnB chorus however is quite messy there happens a lot, and it sort of blurs together, making it unclear what exacly happens. This may be a mixing issue, but I'm cautious with touching that subject, because I know you can mix very well. Let's say I think the snare has too little power compared to the kick, and the bass is muddy. At the same time it gives me a certain feeling of tension. Putting it into the perspective of a battle, it does a good job. I don't know if that's intentional.

From 2:07 you get the atmosphere. Amazing, seriously. It touched me.

Around 3:20 there is this build up that I can't quite place. It's abrupt, but it suits the song somehow. The following part can do with some more highs I reckon. It's a bit muffled in my opinion.
The transition around is 4:40 is also abrupt. That probably is intentional too.

Overall I think this song is a creative masterpiece. The production level is high, and the composition is rather complex. Tempo changes, changes in style, different time signatures, the whole lot. I'm seriously blown away by this. Also it was quite hard to review. I hope this helped, and I hope that I didn't say anything stupid.

5 skips in the R4R is too much, I reckon ;)

1f1n1ty responds:

A million thanks for the review! I was almost ready to give up XD

I noticed those mixing issues in the DnB section, but there wasn't much I could figure out to make it better. Part of the problem was the sidechaining - we decided on sidechaining everything to the kick instead of to the beat in order to make the kick drum actually audible, but that resulted in some excessive ducking in some parts. Also, the bass consisted of sixteenth notes with a boobass, an e-guitar, and a sound LOrb decided to title "crisp noise bass". Wasn't sure how to clean that up, as deleting one of the three sounds makes the bass lose its intensity. It was tough - we did our best, but there's definitely still mud.

Your battle perspective was most certainly intentional! Quote from the description: "The fight with Dark Matter gets under way!"

Augmented chords and sound effects are fantastic together

I can understand if transitions in the last half were weird. We had to figure out how to get the piece to constantly switch between very distinct styles very rapidly and seamlessly. The buildup at 3:20 is where I had to go from dark ambiance to melodic house, and the 4:40 part goes from a DnB rock thing to a piano break. We had another one of those at 5:04, as well. Neither of us are too great at transitions - we certainly tried our best, but there's definitely room to improve. :)

Hey, with so many style changes, maybe I should list them in the description in the "STATS" column.

Once again, thanks a bunch for the review! Feedback is always appreciated! I'll pass on these words to LOrbSheddy, as well. :)